Thursday, July 26, 2007

Ubuntu here I come!

So like any good nerd I've repartitioned my hard drive, install grub, and install Ubuntu Linux! I'm now updating the OS and hoping it picks up my wireless card's drivers. I'm plug into my switch right now.

All in all it was pretty smooth, I had to defrag my windows XP install first. And let me tell you it was baaaaad. After that I just ran GRUB from the Ubuntu install CD, resized my XP partition, create a grub and a Primary EXT and off I went!

Like I said I"m running updates now and I'll play with it a little bit at the office tomorrow. I'm really happy this work b.c I tried it on my desktop and it was hell (the install saw both disk instead of the hardware RAID1 I have setup). I'll update the post in the morning!

----
9:56am EST
So Ubuntu is all updated, desktop effects have been turned on, and i'm up and running! Though we have hit our first snag. When I left my house I suspended the session and when I opened my laptop it awoke from the suspend but all i could see was the mouse. So one hard reboot later I was back into Ubuntu. I was surfing around, installed Songbird, checked out some of the desktop effects, and I was pretty happy. But now i'm at work an I have to use Windows if for nothing else Exchange Email. blah!! I'm going to mess around with VMWare this weekend to see if I can use my windows Partition as a VM like I did with Parallels and my Macbook Pro (way back when..).

But thing are moving forward and I'm happy nothing has blown up yet :-D

No comments: